First Helping &nds Groups Winners Announced
P&N has provided a 'Helping &nd' to 10 local groups after the inaugural round of our new quarterly contribution program, Helping &nds Groups in February 2016.
Helping &nds Groups is a program that allows P&N members to nominate small local organisations, charities and groups in WA for support.
All nominated groups are assessed quarterly, and then shortlisted to 10 groups. P&N members can then have their say on the community groups we support, by voting for their favourite.
After the votes are counted, the top five groups receive $1,000 each and the rest receive $200 each.
For our inaugural round in February 2016, the shortlisted groups were:
- EdConnect Australia - provides life changing mentoring and support in schools for young people at risk of not fulfilling their potential
- The Emmanuel Centre - a volunteer-run self-help centre for people with disabilities, aiming to provide a caring, supportive environment for those living with disabilities
- Manna Inc - one of the largest mainly volunteer-operated charities providing meals to the homeless and struggling people of Perth
- Margaret Court Community Outreach - a not-for-profit organisation that supports on average 450 local families weekly with donated essential food items
- Mustard Seed - a not-for-profit organisation that teaches computer skills, mainly to seniors
- Noongar Institute of WA - a centre for community advancement via education, training and employment, that is fully owned and directed by Noongar families and elders
- Secret Harbour Surf Life Saving Club - provides surf lifesaving patrol services to Secret Harbour Beach and to other local swimming beaches
- The Shopfront - a small drop-in-centre in Maylands that supports a range of people in need, with items such as food or clothing, or even short-term accommodation
- SOS - Supporting our Seniors & Disabled - provides volunteer gardening and minor home maintenance to local seniors and disabled people, helping them to remain in their homes
- Woodridge Volunteer Ambulance - a group of 20 volunteers who provide emergency ambulance cover to those living in, or visiting, the local area
Over the month of February 2016, thousands of P&N members casted their votes. The top five as voted by members were:
- Manna Inc
- SOS - Supporting our Seniors & Disabled
- EdConnect Australia
- The Emmanuel Centre
- The Shopfront
The top five groups each received a donation of $1,000 to their worthy causes, with the remaining groups each receiving $200.
Aside from community groups, our Helping &nds program also allows P&N members to nominate individuals in need. With the help of our members' nominations, we have identified and helped many struggling individuals and families since the program's launch in November 2015.
Find out more about who we've helped.