It’s no secret that our lives have all changed in recent years, and many people have a renewed desire to shop local and support small business within our community. Shopping local doesn't need to be more expensive - here are some ways you can shop local, whilst still managing your budget.
Shop local, support small
The good news is you don’t need to make large purchases to support local retailers.
Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Stop in at a local café for a coffee and bite to eat.
- Look out for locally owned boutiques or gift shops for unique gifts for your loved ones.
- Plan to shop for fresh produce at your local farmer’s market.
- Treat yourself to a bit of pampering at a salon near you. Don’t forget salon gift cards make great presents too!
- On the topic of gifts, consider gifting experiences to local attractions, like outdoor cinemas, Perth Zoo, or Adventure World. You can even go swimming with the dolphins down in Rockingham. When you book through a WA business, you’re supporting local with your dollars and word of mouth at the same time!
- Save time and the stress when entertaining by ordering dessert or cake from a local bakery or cake shop.
- Take a day trip – try the Perth Hills, Fremantle or Rottnest Island for a day out. You’ll find breathtaking scenery, cafes, bushwalks, and plenty of small businesses to support. All within a short drive, or boat ride, from the centre of Perth.
- Plan your next holiday in WA’s big backyard. Head down south for whale-watching and wine, venture north to Jurien Bay or Cervantes for a new adventure, or travel even further to Broome and beyond. Whatever your travel style and budget, there are accommodation options and activities to suit.
If you’re trying to keep costs down, consider camping with friends and family, or take a look at holiday rental websites for other accommodation options. Many regional businesses rely on tourism, so it is also an opportunity to show your support for businesses in the region. Get more holiday inspiration from the Western Australia tourism website.
However you choose to support local, work out what your household budget is for entertainment and dining and visit places accordingly. Need help on how to create a budget? Check out some tips here.